Wednesday 16 April 2014

Stay Alive & Gamer

So I was looking through the drafts of my blog and found this draft I forgot to post of research for my film...

For research for my upcoming short 'Press Play' I looked up some films that have the same subject matter of my film, which is about gaming; a boy getting lost in a game world more specifically.

One film I found was 'Stay Alive' (2006) which is about a group of friends investigating the death of their friend after he is found dead the same way he died in a mysterious game. As the group of friends  play the game they start to discover that the way any of the games players die in the game is how they will die in real life, and together they must beat the game and destroy the evil countess to stay alive.

This game has similarities with my film in the sense it is about a game world but they have differences in the way they are treated, for example this film is treated in the genre of horror where mine is more action/adventure/fantasy. So this film would be more dark, gruesome and grotesque with scary scenes and jump scares to frighten its audience and build suspense, whereas mine will be more brighter, louder and faster pace and build tension through action packed sequences.

I can still learn from this movie however, even though they differ in style and genre. I can apply the cinematic technique they use in their game sequences and one thing I've been thinking of particularly was how to film a screen, I can see how they do this and try to learn from that.


Below is the trailer for 'Stay Alive'


The next film I researched with the same subject matter of mine was, 'Gamer' (2009).

'Gamer' is about a world were death row inmates must play in real life game were they battle other criminals, controlled by gamers and much reach it to the end in order to win their freedom.

Like my film this is more action/adventure and about gaming so I can use the cinematic style, camera technique and cinematography etc to inspire my film and make it better and a more cinematic piece of film.


Below is the trailer for 'Gamer'

No comments:

Post a Comment